Re: [tlug] freeze on AMD64 Dual Opteron server

Evan Monroig writes:

 > And I found one thread [1] with someone that had a similar problem and
 > solved it by using bcm5700 instead of tg3 as driver.

I don't know what exactly is going on here, but the one time I lost a
lot of data due to a software bug it was due to a conflict between a
driver and a plug-compatible card.

The "upgrade" from Windows NT 3.1J-beta to the public release.  I was
using an AMI SCSI card that emulated the BusLogic protocol.  The BSOD
display clearly showed NT recognizing the card, registering it as an
AMI, probing and discovering it was BusLogic compatible, and sending
it commands which caused it to lowlevel reformat the disk.  Apparently
for "efficiency" reasons the driver used undocumented BusLogic
commands....

Fortunately, all I lost was the operating system, as I only used that
drive to play with NT which was supposed to be so wonderful.  As I
told the moron who said "you shouldn't use hardware that lies about
what brand it is", "thank you for so thoroughly uninstalling the
clearly dangerous OS called 'Windows NT 3.1J public release'."