Re: [tlug] hard drive shock resiliance and health - linux tools?

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:04:41 +0100
"Neil Millar" <nmillar@example.com> wrote:

> Mr. Wikipedia, he say:
>
> Known S.M.A.R.T. attributes
> 220 	DC 	Disk Shift 	*CRITICAL* Distance the disk has shifted relative
> to the spindle (usually due to shock). Unit of measure is unknown.
> 221 	DD 	G-Sense Error Rate 	The number of errors resulting from
> externally-induced shock & vibration.
>
> not sure if you'll have those, or if they'll tell you anything.

I just looked at my sata disk that I accidentally dropped to the
bottom of my case while it was reading data. I have these two attributes
(with a raw value of 0, but I don't trust these much):

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
204 Shock_Count_Write_Opern 0x000a   253   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
205 Shock_Rate_Write_Opern  0x000a   253   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0