Re: [tlug] hard drive shock resiliance and health - linux tools?

Matt Gross wrote:

> ... I ... accidentally bumped my server.
> It rocked back and forth a little bit, but did not fall over.

> I'm not seeing any errors and everything is working fine.

Consider yourself lucky. Declare victory and run away.

> What are the
> chances that I did or did not damage my drives?

If you have screwed things up, you would not be asking us.

> Are there any linux tools which will allow me to confirm if I did or did
> not damage my drives?

Check that S.M.A.R.T. stuff for each drive.

> RAID5

Check your RAID status tools also. There are plenty of folks who
throw money at stuff, without getting the full benefit.
There are folks who pay more for RAID, but never monitor it.
So when (not if) a drive dies, they don't notice it until
another drive dies, then they are seriously screwed.

By the way, do you keep backups?
Do you practice _restoring_ from backups?

Jim