Re: [tlug] hard drive shock resiliance and health - linux tools?

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:08:07 +0900
Matt Gross <mgrossjp@example.com> wrote:

> Well, after a long day at the office, I came home, plopped down in front
> of my pc and accidentally bumped my server.  It rocked back and forth a
> little bit, but did not fall over.
That's not much for a modern harddisk, they can handle more in my
experience ;)

> Are there any linux tools which will allow me to confirm if I did or did
> not damage my drives?
I'm not sure how you can read measured operating shock values from the
disk (they are supposed to store this AFAIK, so the manufacturer can tell
how the drive broke).
Take a look at smartctl if you are looking for possible errors.