Re: [tlug] PHP in Japan.

Walter Hansen wrote:
> The thing is it's a two part system. Ruby is a Japanese language similar
> to PHP and Rails is an American devleopment for streamlining web design
> projects. Together they are supposed to work very well as an overall
> development package. The orginal implementation of Rails was to work with
> PHP, but PHP didn't go far enough and Ruby was found to be a very good
> match.
>
> The thing is I think you are probably more likely to find Ruby and Ruby on
> Rails jobs in Japan. The coding differences are supposed to be arround the
> level of differences between perl and PHP although it looks like a lot
> more OO based to me.
>
> Here's the main ROR site:
> http://www.rubyonrails.org/
>
> Myself I perfer to code in perl, but love PHP for web use and have never
> really had any formal PHP education. I'm thinking that PHP may be
> similarly linked with Ruby and that you might very well find jobs a
> pleanty in something that you almost know.

To be honest, if you go by the number of books and magazines on the
subject in Yodobashi Camera, until rails made a splash in the second
half of this year, ruby seemed to be mostly dead in Japan.  There was a
number of the trusty titles but it looked to have been killed by Java.
In terms of languages, I would say ruby is somewhere between PHP and
Java, and in a lot of ways is similar to python.  If you are into agile
development, test driven development, design patterns (domain models,
active records, model view controller), domain specific languages and
meta-programming etc. then ruby and ruby on rails is great.

Edward