Re: [tlug] Doesn't the Ampersand make commands run in the background?

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 04:01:39PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> A web site said:
> "The shell has the capacity to run multiple commands at one time, and
> can run commands in the background using the ampersand (&) after the
> command."
>
> But on my system, when I try adding an ampersand after a command, I
> don't get the command prompt back. I have to either wait for wait for
> the command to finish it's task, or press [ctrl]+C.
>
> Did I miss something? This seems very straight forward, so it's hard to
> guess at what could be wrong.

Should do.

Type (for example)
xclock
at the xterm command line. You should get a clock on your screen with
your xterm unavailable.

Type
xclock&
and you should get a clock on your screen and your terminal availabe.

(type fg to bring it back to the foreground...)

Ed