[tlug] Doesn't the Ampersand make commands run in the background?

TLUG,

I dutifully looked up the answer to my question before posting here, but what I read doesn't seem to be the case.

A web site said:
"The shell has the capacity to run multiple commands at one time, and can run commands in the background using the ampersand (&) after the command."

But on my system, when I try adding an ampersand after a command, I don't get the command prompt back. I have to either wait for wait for the command to finish it's task, or press [ctrl]+C.

Did I miss something? This seems very straight forward, so it's hard to guess at what could be wrong.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ï--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS