Re: [tlug] Collection of Responses, mostly on the Reiser thread(s)

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:20:22 +0900
> From: "GMO Unix Erin D. Hughes" <erin-hughes@example.com>
> Subject: Re: [tlug] [OT] American Due Process (was: Hans Reiser
> 	arrested	on	suspiscion of murder)
> To: Tokyo Linux Users Group <tlug@example.com>
>
> On 12/10/06, GMO Unix Erin D. Hughes <erin-hughes@example.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, but once you have asked for your lawyer, the police are not
> > allowed to question you further until your lawyer is present.
> Allowed yes but any statement made after that is not
> admissible in court.
> Even if your fool enough to say you did it.
>
> In Japan you can say you want a lawyer till you are blue in
> the face....
> you'll see one when they are good and ready to let you ....and the
> questions will keep on coming till they get their answers or get tired
> and go home only to start fresh the next day. Oh ya and 1
> phone call...
> you can forget about that one here too.
>
> Under certain situations in the US they can use what you say
> against you
> after you request a lawyer but the circumstances are way to
> long winded
> to get into here.
>
> Tomorrow night.
>
> E./

There is the Miranda Act.  You have the right to remain silent, if you choose to waive this right, anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law.  Real simple, if they remember to read him his rights, and he chooses to say he did it, it can still be held against him in most states.

All that asking for his lawyer does, is means they can't bug him till the lawyer gets there.  Doesn't stop him from sticking his foot in his mouth.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:16:32 +0900
> From: Shawn <javajunkie@example.com>
> Subject: Re: [tlug] Hans Reiser arrested on suspiscion of murder
> To: Tokyo Linux Users Group <tlug@example.com>

> [uh sorry if this is off topic but I saw something about the
> usefulness of summaries on this list earlier
>  and geez I am so overwhelmed at the moment that this is the
> best I could make of that suggestion]

Don't worry. On topic and off topic is kind of at the whim of those who are typing.  Linux and GNU OS in all their forms is generaly safely on topic at any time.  Code snippits and questions concerning things of use to the before mentioned OSes are usually on topic.  Talk about random gadgets, video games, and interesting related events are often on topic.  Talk about what you had for lunch, random news events, and your general views on any given situation are occasionaly on topic as well. :-)