[tlug] Help with Gnome vte?

Hi,

Last year, when changing up to Fedora Core 4 from my olde RedHat 7.3
systems, I tried out Gnome Terminal as an alternative to kterm.

One problem I had was that the left-button-click cut for Japanese
text grabbed too many characters. This aspect of kterm is very good
and after using it for 14 years, I wanted the same in replacements.

Anyway, I filed a grizzle with http://bugzilla.gnome.org/, and
finally got a couple of responses, which I'll quote:

> --- Comment #2 from Mariano Suarez-Alvarez  2006-08-29 21:51 UTC ---- ---
> This is happening in vte, in vte.c:vte_terminal_extend_selection. In the
> selection_type_word case, we go as far back as we can while staying in
> the the
> `class' of characters, and likewise we go forward---that is how words
> are cut.
> In the end this comes to vte_terminal_is_word_char not trating japanese
> et al.  as word chars.
>
> Someone who understands Unicode could take a look at
> pango/pango/break.c, and
> try to extract a working word breaing algorithm from that, or rather two
> of them: one  for going forward and the other for going backwards. I am not
> even sure that is possible... Another options is looking at what kterm/mlterm
> do.
>
> Moving to vte, as that is where the action will be, in any case.

and

> ------- Comment #3 from Behdad Esfahbod  2006-08-29 23:36 UTC -------
> Actually I believe this is fixed now.  We are using Unicode properties
> now.  Please reopen if it's not.

I can't test that the latest Gnome Terminal actually works as I'd like
with Japanese text, as my FDC version is too old for the later versions.
I am a way off going to FDC 5.

Can someone who has gnome-terminal 2.11 or later try it out with
Japanese text?

Thanks

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554