Re: [tlug] system clock jump

stephen@example.com, 2006-10-03 22:42 +0900:

> Hm.  What does ls -l /dev/rtc tell you?

  crw-rw---- 1 root audio 10, 135 2006-10-04 19:53 /dev/rtc

I suppose the fact that the group is not "root" but "audio" would
seem to indicate a problem.

> IIRC, there are some kernel config options that enable advanced RTC
> stuff ... I wonder if maybe there's a module you don't have loaded?

Dunno if it will provide any clues, but I've attached output of
"lsmod | sort"

> I wonder if there's some stuff in /proc or so that could help?

I find /proc/driver/rtc, which has the following:

  rtc_time        : 12:40:46
  rtc_date        : 2006-10-04
  rtc_epoch       : 1900
  alarm           : 10:15:50
  DST_enable      : no
  BCD             : yes
  24hr            : yes
  square_wave     : no
  alarm_IRQ       : no
  update_IRQ      : no
  periodic_IRQ    : no
  periodic_freq   : 1024
  batt_status     : okay

The time it shows is correct.

> SELinux getting in the way yet again?

I'm not familiar at all with details of SELinux or with problems
related to it. Until I saw the message from Charles, I had been
guessing the cause of the clock problem was something specifically
related to lack of good Thinkpad T60 support. At the time I did
the initial install, I remember finding very little info online
about experiences anybody else had with installing Linux on a T60.

But Charles mentioned he was installing on a Dell machine, so I
perhaps it's not a problem that's specific to missing T60 support.
(Or maybe not -- maybe the problem on my machine and the problem
on his have different causes...)

  --Mike
ac                      4676  0
aes                    29152  0
af_key                 30736  0
ah4                     5888  0
ata_piix                8964  2
battery                 9412  0
blowfish                7904  0
button                  6448  0
crc_ccitt               1952  1 irda
crypto_null             2112  0
deflate                 3648  0
des                    16320  0
dm_mirror              18608  0
dm_mod                 51160  2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
dm_snapshot            16284  0
e1000                  94548  0
ehci_hcd               28904  0
esp4                    7488  0
evdev                   8800  0
ext3                  117768  1
fan                     4580  0
firmware_class          9696  1 pcmcia
generic                 4260  0 [permanent]
hw_random               4884  0
i2c_core               19280  1 i2c_i801
i2c_i801                7916  0
i8xx_tco                6868  0
ide_core              112800  1 generic
ipcomp                  7112  0
ipv6                  221696  8
irda                  162300  2 irtty_sir,sir_dev
irtty_sir               7584  0
jbd                    48404  1 ext3
joydev                  8864  0
libata                 51020  1 ata_piix
mbcache                 8484  1 ext3
Module                  Size  Used by
mousedev               10496  1
nvram                   7496  0
pcmcia                 35708  0
pcmcia_core            37872  3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
pcspkr                  1668  0
processor              22912  1 thermal
psmouse                32356  0
rsrc_nonstatic         11968  1 yenta_socket
rtc                    11316  0
scsi_mod              125736  2 sd_mod,libata
sd_mod                 17136  3
serio_raw               6468  0
serpent                19520  0
sha1                    2400  0
sha256                 12640  0
sir_dev                16972  1 irtty_sir
snd                    48420  6 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_hda_codec          78912  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_intel          15792  2
snd_page_alloc          9928  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_pcm                77576  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              21316  2 snd_pcm
soundcore               8928  1 snd
thermal                13416  0
twofish                44000  0
uhci_hcd               28016  0
usbcore               113284  3 uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
xfrm4_tunnel            3588  0
xfrm_user              16548  0
yenta_socket           24972  1
zlib_deflate           20536  1 deflate