Re: [tlug] New Desktop Computer

Jason,
If I understand correctly from the recent discussion of server
hardware, dual core CPUs may not yet work well for linux & 64bit CPUs
are not properly utilized yet.
So far as I know, this is not the case. I have a dual core Pentium, and Ubuntu Linux. When I first installed, I remember that I had to specifically select to install the right kernel to get dual core support. But then later Ubuntu kernels seemed to do it automatically.

Later I built my own kernel (with much encouragement and advice from this list), and my computer is fantastically fast, with complete dual core support.

In any case, bottom line is that I've always had full dual core support from the outset, without any troubles whatsoever.

Hope that helps.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS