From: "Godwin Stewart" <godwin.stewart@example.com>
To: jlinux@example.com
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:50:16 +0200
Subject: Re: [tlug] [OT] Taking appliances between J and US power

[ off-list as requested ]

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 20:55:29 -0600, "David J Iannucci"
<jlinux@example.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know whether there's any reason I should believe
> this? Should expect this sort of result?  If so, is it relatively
> well-known?

IMO it's bollocks. Electrical appliances don't "get used to" power
supplies, they either work on them or don't work.

This said, there isn't much point in using a transformer to step down
from 110V to 100V. Equipment bought in the UK, where the voltage is
240V, works fine in continental Europe, where the voltage is 220V, and
vice-versa. Such small differences in voltage are peanuts to an
appliance, especially as your mains voltage is liable to swing that much
anyway - it can vary by 10% either way of the nominal voltage.

A suihanki is a rice-cooker, right? Have you started using a different
brand of rice? Are you no longer rinsing the rice before cooking it?

A sure-fire way to see whether the transformer is dead or not is to plug
a US appliance of similar rating into it and see if it works. If the
transformer is okay the appliance will run on 100V no problem.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Your fault: core dumped