Re: [tlug] server software for storing photos

Jim (and Jim!), thanks for your advice

> Gallery is very cool,
> but I would like to try something that does not require MySQL+PHP[.]

OK. What about MySQL and PHP are you trying to avoid?

I was a little concerned about security:

1) I'm using a virtual server provider which uses linux Vserver, and
it seems that it does not virtualize the loopback interface, instead
redirecting the local traffic to the IP address. For this reason, the
configuration to make MySQL listen only to the local host
(bind-address = 127.0.0.1 in /etc/my.cnf) does not seem to work.
Moreover, the virtual server does not support iptables (so I can not
block the port used by MySQL
2) Apart from the requirement of having to set PHP safe_mode to off, I
didn't like to have some passwords stored as plain text in the gallery
config file config.php
3) While Gallery 1 does not require MySQL to work, the directory of
images has to be publicly accessible on the internet, and then there
is the risk that anyone can view the images even without having access
rights

Nevertheless, being so widely used, I suppose it means that security
should not be a serious issue if G2 is properly configured, right?

Hector