Re: [tlug] outsourcing email service

stephen@example.com wrote:
Because if there's a leak of personal information, it'll be your bad.
Just don't be the hundred-and-first.
<snip>
Just because you have nothing valuable
doesn't mean they won't steal it anyway.
Point well-taken. Thank you very much.

I had another idea after reading responses from you and Josh Glover, but it gets a little theoretical, in the sense that I am just wondering what others think.

How about just closing the college email to the outside? All the students and all the teachers have free email accounts anyway, and they use them more than the in-house email because they can take those accounts with them when they leave. The in-house email could be restricted to in-house communication, keeping the webmail interface so that people offsite would be able to send inhouse emails from the internet (SSL, of course). All contact with the outside would be done with the user's personal email address (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, and the like), and all school/ student info would be sent and received with the in-house email.

A company or a university providing an email address used to be the only way to get one, but now everyone has multiple addresses, and it is managing all of these different contact routes that complicates things. Perhaps we are moving toward a day when ISP and free and cellphone email is so ubiquitous that institutional email is intranet-only, making a clear separation between work and private lives, and ensuring that intra-company info never leaves the company network.

Just a thought,
Micheal