Re: [tlug] outsourcing email service

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 11:45:12AM +0900, Micheal E. Cooper wrote:

> Logically, a company with a data center, backup facilities, a spam/virus
> firewall, and full-time support should be able to host plenty of virtual
> mail servers and use the economies of scale to offer other organizations
> email support for less than it costs to do it in-house.
>

> But I would also like to get experience (even biased), personal input
> from TLUGgers, to make sense of the noise on the net.
>
> What do you think about the wisdom of outsourcing email to an off-site
> service?
>
> Is anyone doing this?

Yes.

I would rather we had complete control of it, but the way things are
right now with us, I would only have time for it if it worked right the
first time with no problems.

In a way, it's a pleasure, when someone calls to say, "There's a problem
with the email,"  to say, "Ok, I'll call their support," rather than
going through logs, trying to figure out what's wrong.

I would say our experience has been generally positive though not
perfect.   By not perfect, I mean there have, of course, been times when
something wasn't going through and it took them time to troubleshoot,
however, in general, I would say we're happy with them.  They're NY
based, though their datacenters are in various places.    (However, not
the far East, and I suspect you'd prefer something closer to you.)

They are reasonably priced, and had a year's introductory offer.
Whether or not it was cheaper than to do it in house, I don't know,
however, they are, as you said, able to do it fulltime rather than as
one of many other things they have to do.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Angelus: No weapons... no friends... no hope. Take all
that away and what's left?
Buffy: Me.