Re: [tlug] troubleshooting lockup

scott wrote:

> Any tips on troubleshooting [A]lsa?

Be careful how you phrase the problem.

I think you were better off when you described the conditions
under which stuff locked up. Let the lockup be your problem,
leaving your eyes open to more possibilities for the cause
of the problem.

At least from what you post, it's not clear that Alsa is the culprit.
Alsa may very well be the culprit, but you won't know for
until you've figured out the problem. Maybe xmms has problems
that are merely provoked by Alsa. Try various other audio programs,
both with native Alsa API and OSS emulation, and with real OSS.
Try to find other ways to provoke the problem. Since you mention KDE,
try other GUIs/desktops.

> Strace did give me some error but I was capturing to [stdout]
> and don't remember it exactly- something about a bad descriptor.

Capture to something more permanent than stdio next time,
so that you can study it, and so that you can show it to
others for comments.