Re: [tlug] xbuntu on Toshiba Libretto L1 video resolution X11 (among other) problems --update

On 01/09/06, GMO Unix Erin D. Hughes <erin-hughes@example.com> wrote:

I initially took it to watch movies and video on the train it has a 40
gig HD (on the spec sheets I saw that it usually only comes with a 10-20
gig)  and the battery life is supposed to be great... but this one only
lasts a hour or so.

Did it last an hour while watching a movie? If so, that is not bad,
especially for a slower processor. My 1.4GHz 'top can only do about an
hour of watching XViD AVIs with mplayer before the battery dies.
Obviously, uncompressed video would give you longer battery life but
much larger file sizes.

If the laptop's battery lasted only an hour while doing "normal" stuff
in X (i.e. not watching movies), that is pretty crappy. My laptop gets
about 2.5 or 3 hours (the battery is three years old now) while coding
in XEmacs, almost 4 hours if I just use vi in text mode (i.e. without
starting X).

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m, BTW.

-Josh