Re: [tlug] synching the zaurus? which PIM to use?

scott wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide which direction to go with my Zaurus C3200. I'm
currently using a cacko rom, but I cant find a version of the ko/pi
synch rpm compatible with centos4.
Ouch, there's nothing in freshrpms.net or any of the other RPM repositories available? I'm afraid I don't use Centos 4 that much so am not really sure.

You might be able to get the source tarball and compile it on your own and then use checkinstall [1] to create a RPM so it can easily be installed or uninstalled on Centos machines.

I haven't tried open zaurus as of yet- still a bit wary of having to
repartition the hard drive because if it turns out to be a huge hassle
getting everything to work it might not be worth it.

OZ has been making progress but if you want a stable PDA I'm not sure OZ is at that stage yet. I could be utterly wrong though.

Any recommendations for synching my PIM data? Should I just repartition
and see what happens?

If you can get KO/PI up and running, I have found that to be your best option. It might be worth the hassle of trying to compile KO/PI on Centos4 to get a pretty nice PIM suite.

My brief attempts to use the Sharp one left such a bad taste in my mouth (proprietary format, poorly documented, UTF-8 un-friendly) I consider the included PIM suite an anti-feature personally.

I also setup my KO/PI setup to sync over SSH to my main server which is actually rather nice although it does necessitate having a network connection but that should be a piece of cake with the Zaurus ;-)

Alain

[1] http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/