[tlug] Rudeness and the Technical Elite (was: Ubuntu update warning and fix)

On 24/08/06, Shannon Jacobs (6881) <shannon.jacobs@example.com> wrote:

> From: "Evan Monroig" <evan.monroig@example.com>

> The best fix is not to upgrade unless you confirm that the upgrade
> fixes a security bug.
>
> Bug I also did the upgrade yesterday and the fix was dead simple
> (downgrade)
>
> sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10

Congratulations on your rude techno-elite geekiness and mastery of arcane
commands.

There is no rudeness here that I picked up on, save your own.

Please try harder to give others the benefit of the doubt in email,
which we all know is rather prone to being misinterpreted. Especially
in TLUG, where I really have not seen out-and-out assholery for a good
four years.

Also understand that there are many on TLUG for whom English is not
their first language. This can sometimes contribute to unusual turns
of phrase or terseness that, unbeknowst to the poster, can convey
sarcasm or irritation to a native English speaker.

So basically, be strict in what you emit, and liberal in what you
accept. Give people the benefit of the doubt to the point where they
have to downright call you a bad name before you assume they meant to
cause offence.

Please go back and read all of the documents linked on our list policy page:

http://tlug.jp/listpolicy.php#postq

Also note the following:

http://tlug.jp/listpolicy.php#conflict

Now how is your elaborate solution superior to the simple "sudo
apt-get upgrade" I mentioned?

I fail to see how Evan's solution was especially elaborate.

Still, one has to admit you are the superior techno-elite geek. So where
shall I send your congratulatory flowers? Also, free kudos from Microsoft.
They need your support in making Linux look bad, and they really appreciate
it, though they won't send you any flowers since it would hurt their
profits.

This is completely and utterly off-sides.

Even farther out of the way, I didn't comment on the real damage this kind
of mistake does to the reputation of Linux in general and Ubuntu in
particular. That's actually the aspect that bothers me most,

You have an actual point here. Please make it without insulting others
on the list, to wit:

though your unprovoked rudeness seems bothersome, too.

More evidence I should drop Linux for a few more years until Linux and its supporters
mature a bit more.

Frankly, from your contributions to date, the problem may well lie
with the fact that you are not willing to do any work. When you
learned Windows, whether you remember it, you did have to learn how to
do everything. Switching graphical desktops alone--not to mention
OSs--will require you to relearn what you know, to some extent. This
should not surprise you.

There are an adundance of people on this list that would be more than
happy to help you would you but state your problems clearly, one at a
time. But you seem to prefer to complain that "Linux is too much work,
and the people who use it are immature losers who don't know how to
play nicely with others."

Even if Evan had meant offence to you, which I can state with 99%
certainty that he did not, making statements like "I should drop Linux
for a few more years until Linux and its *supporters * mature a bit
more" (emphasis mine) are not really appropriate, since Evan makes up
approximately 0.3% of this list's subscribers. This is not barrels of
apples here; one immature person would not a group of immature people
make, even if such an immature person was not a figment of your
imagination.

Now excuse me while I resharpen my tongue. I seem to have blunted it a bit.

Not at all. It was plenty sharp.

Now let me fail to trim in an apropos fashion:

To unsubscribe from this mailing list,
please see the instructions at http://www.tlug.jp/list.html

If you really feel like Linux users are dunderheads, feel free to
avail yourself of the above instructions.

-Josh "ever-so-slightly miffed" Glover