Re: [tlug] > Subject: Re: Ubuntu update warning and fix

I am not sure who is beeing rude here, but I apologize that I upset
you. I assure you that it was not my intention, and that I will try
better next time.

My apologies.

"Shannon Jacobs \(6881\)" <shannon.jacobs@example.com> writes:

>> From: "Evan Monroig" <evan.monroig@example.com>
> <snip of my OP>
>> The best fix is not to upgrade unless you confirm that the upgrade
>> fixes a security bug.
>>
>> Bug I also did the upgrade yesterday and the fix was dead simple
>> (downgrade)
>>
>> sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10
>
> Now how is your elaborate solution superior to the simple "sudo
> apt-get upgrade" I mentioned?

It is not superior. It is different.

When I ran into the same problem as you, the upgrade was not fixed
yet. In this situation, basically there are two solutions. Either fix
the problem myself (which I don't know how to do), or undo the
upgrade. So I reverted to the previous package.

If the update was already available at that time, then the simplest
solution would have been yours.

> Do you understand that by the time I sent my message, the Ubuntu
> people had already fixed it?

Yes. Sorry that I did not precise the detailed context of my
"solution".

> Therefore your techno-elite solution seems unneeded--in addition to
> lacking robustness.

True.

> I'm also impressed by your ignoring of your own oh-so-sage advice.

There are times in life when one learns from his failures. I had heard
that advice several times before, and thought better of it. But this
time I learned that it would have been better to follow it.

> Incidentally, I wasn't sure where to start looking for the problem
> because I had made a minor configuration change that was related to
> the display.  Therefore I was initially looking for a solution to
> something which was not a problem.
>
> Even farther out of the way, I didn't comment on the real damage this
> kind of mistake does to the reputation of Linux in general and Ubuntu
> in particular. That's actually the aspect that bothers me most [snip].

I agree. A problem like this just shouldn't happen. There must have been
a mistake when the Ubuntu folks submitted the package for update. It is
not good publicity for Ubuntu or Linux.

> Now excuse me while I resharpen my tongue. I seem to have blunted it a
> bit.

I don't understand this (really).

Evan