Re: [tlug] promoting linux one CDR at a time

Scott wrote:

At work I have been giving Knoppix CDRs to people. Oftentimes
people want to use their company laptop to do non work related things
and end up messing up their operating systems, so I just give them
Knoppix right off the bat and tell them to use it instead. So far the
results have been good.

I'll agree that Knoppix is good for a quick, easy install and hardware recognition, but I always find that I run into dependency problems and conflicts as soon as I try to do any kind of upgrading, so I've gotten into the habit of sticking with straight Debian. I've found that nowadays, even with the testing version, I get basically the same degree of hardware recognition as I do with Knoppix, and they keep improving the installer all the time.

So even when I'm helping a newcomer get set up with Linux, I'd prefer to sit down with them and get their machine set up on a straight Debian, and then usually nothing gets broken later.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities