Re: [tlug] Kickstart udev without restarting the computer

Hi Dave,

--- Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:
> For reasons that I can't discern, when I plug in the
> Palm Pilot, I don't
> get the ttyUSB* files created in /dev.

Probably there is no USB-to-serial driver loaded.
Which distribution and Linux kernel are you using?

> I don't know why this stopped working, but I'm
> pretty sure it means that
> whatever daemon or process that listens for USB
> connections for the Palm
> is stopped.

After you have plugged in the Palm, open a terminal
and post output of:

  ps -e | grep udev
  /bin/dmesg | tail

> But I'm not sure if it's technically a "daemon" or
> "process" that's
> responsible here.

Daemon called udevd if you are using a recent
distribution with a 2.6 Linux kernel.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan