Re: [tlug] New Custom Server for Linux - Advice Needed

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:26:47 -0400, Jim <jep200404@example.com>
wrote:

> Also, have offsite backup, which could be an old '486 with big
> honkin' drives. (Actually the BIOS could cause you grief.

Not if the machine is running Linux.

Linux throws the disk BIOS out the window, thus enabling an otherwise
limited controller access to the entire large disk.

> You will also have to pay more for air conditioning to pump the heat
> out. If your air conditioning runs half of the year, and you have a
> high efficiency air conditioner, that would add about 5000 yen/year.
> (I.e., very roughly 200 yen per year per Watt)

But OTOH, heating costs during the other half of the year will be
reduced since the machine will be participating in the heating.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

The only person to get all of his work done by Friday was Robinson
Crusoe