Re: [tlug] Small detail - file icons

Unfortunately, this has no effect. With most files, it does.
Sometimes when I've downloaded a file from the web or something, it
will first show up as a "bland", non-thumbnail icon. But then if I
simply click on it to give it focus, the thumbnailer seems to "wake
up", and it will change to a nice thumbnail icon. Sometimes this will
happen when I move files around, even just changing their position on
the desktop.

Is it a MIME-type or resource fork issue? These aren't terms I really
 grasp, but I know that back in the day they had relevance when
copying files back and forth from Windows and Mac.

I have noted that Gnome uses MIME-type recognition on files rather than
trusting completely on the file extention.
This can cause these slightly suprising behaviors, like building a
thumbnail only after confirming the type using MIME-recognition.
Furthermore MIME-recognition becomes resource intensive when there is a
large number of files so usually it's not done aggressively.  I have
seen cases where the reported file type changed when I clicked on it
because the MIME-recognition thought it was something else than the
extension indicated.  As for it completely refusing to build a
thumbnail I am not sure.  But often hot mounted drives tend to be
regarded as remote which depending on your Gnome settings will not build
scan or build thumbnails. Don't know if such might be the cause with
your VMWare files. Although copying them to a location that displays icons normally should resolve that.

BAB