Re: [tlug] Zaurus dual-boot [was: 3 non-related questions]

On 8/16/06, scott <scott@example.com> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 00:15 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  So you have to flash the rom every time you boot to a new OS.

Hmmm, that's unfortunate. I like the apps that come with the Zaurus, it
would be nice to save them. Also I am a bit concerned about the whole
flash / restore process. I used rsync to back up the hard drive, but
several files were written as ???? and ?????? etc, even using a kanji
terminal, so I'm wondering if the restore will give me a functional
system.

At any rate I'm going to jump right in and flash the durned thing today.
Wish me luck.

Cheers,
Scott VanDusen

It is possible to dual-boot the Zaurus models, but it involves
twiddling the init script to boot from a different location (in the
case of my C760 I had it booting pdaX from the SD card)

I'm fairly sure that there are a number of options available for
dual-booting, but some of them have assorted problems - pdaX used to
have a probelm with the calibration of the screen being increasingly
off as you you move to the right of the touch-screen.

Check out [url=http://www.oesf.org/forums/]Open Embedded Software
foundation[/url] for a lot info on what is available, you may have to
dig a bit from when they changed forum software but it should still
all be there.

Stu