Re: [tlug] Is having no "iptables" bad?

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 22:22:51 +0900
Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> > AFAIK iptables is the userspace part, the in-kernel stuff is called
> > netfilter.
> I found it, but it has a zillion options. So even if I include it, I'm
> not sure which modules I'd need to modprobe and whatnot.
Just compile them all as modules. You will not need to modprobe them
manually.

> This one I assume is the one I'm using now:
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.17.7/.config
I guess that's the vanilla kernel.org config.

> These would be from my previous build. Would I use these? Would they
> work with the new kernel?
You can use a config from and old kernel. New config options will take
the default values. If you type `make oldconfig`, it will only ask for
the not yet configured config options. This is pretty convenient because
you don't have to browse through the zillion options in the gui.

> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-25-686/.config
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-25/.config
You can possibly use these too. Better yet, get a more recent one for
2.6.16 or 17.

> Here's another one, which I'm not sure how it differs from the first one
> I listed.
Use the diff command. For gui people, there is a nice tool called meld.

> I'm all for getting a .config file suitable for Ubuntu, tweaking it, and
> then recompiling my kernel. But I just want to make sure I get the exact
> right .config file to start with.
Debian has this package:
linux-source-2.6.17 - Linux kernel source for version 2.6.17 with Debian patches
If ubuntu has older versions only, get that and extract the .config from
it.
Alternatively, if you still have an ubuntu kernel installed, you can grab
it's config from /boot/config-xxxx