Re: [tlug] Is having no "iptables" bad?

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 08:57:30AM +0200, Botond Botyanszki wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:52:48 +0900
> Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:
>
> > Your kernel does not support iptables.
> Did you copy the .config file from ubuntu's kernel source when you
> compiled your new kernel or just used the defaults?

	Just for note.  If he's going from a 2.6.15.x configuration
to 2.6.16+ configuration, some of the kernel configuration parameters
were changed internally so even if you moved your 2.6.15.x configuration
to 2.6.16+ there's a very good chance all those settings will be lost
EVEN if he copies the .config file from an 2.6.15.x kernel version to
a 2.6.16+ kernel config.

	I suggest running 'make menuconfig' or whatever tool you like
and make sure to enable iptables support in the kernel explicitly.
I got bitten by this on a machine I that I had to move a kernel
revision forward in order to support some funky hardware on it.  Needless, to
say I wasn't happy about this at all.

	I've not had troubles with migrating the .config from 2.6.16 to
higher kernel versions but since that debacle I explicitly go through
all the configuration options to make sure all things I want are enabled.

	In general, compiling a kernel isn't that big a problem once
you understand the process.  The bigger deal is trying to keep track
of the gazillion parameters that you want enabled to have working
features.
	I used to subscribe to the theory of compile only what you
need but I've found this kills you when you move your system to different
hardware.  I'd much rather waste a few extra megabytes and CPU compile
cycles to keep around 'unnecessary' modules in the event you need to
migrate to different hardware.  The only time I'd reconsider is when
performance is becoming a real issue to look at the kernel OR I can
specify the exact system environment this configured kernel will live
in (ex. Computing cluster).
	For desktop purposese, I'm pretty convinced that you'll spend
a lot more time playing kernel module hell if something breaks and
you need to switch some hardware out to troubleshoot if you follow
the 'compile only what I need' philosophy.

Alain