Re: [tlug] Upgraded the kernel!!

Godwin,

Thank you for replying.

For my part I think I may have kicked you through it more than steered
you, but hey, you have to be cruel to be kind sometimes, right? :)
Well, I have to give it to you - you were right. You said that eventually I would be better off building my own kernel, and I did, and it seems to have improved things. As I write this, J-Pilot is synchronizing and backing up all my Palm Pilot data.

Gpilot seems to still be a little goofy, but since Jpilot is working smooth as silk, then clearly the kernel upgrade was the prior issue. And if Gpilot is still going to misbehave, then to heck with it.

Once the bruising has worn off you might want to dig deeper into this
and build yourself a better-optimized kernel.
I thought I did that, when I built this one. Part of the instructions for upgrading the kernel included optimization tweaks where I selected my exact processor and other memory tweaks and stuff.

And maybe I'm just being enthusiastic, but it really feels like my machine has stepped up a notch in speed. Opening and closing applications and moving windows around seems to be much zippier.

I wouldn't outright discount the possibility of one day wanting to tweak more, but I'm not sure there's too much further to go. I mean, it works really well now, and how much better performance could I expect to squeeze out of it? Enough to really merit building the kernel again?

--
Dave M G