[tlug] Upgraded the kernel!! (was: Upgrading the kernel...?)

TLUG,

Shazam! Total success:

dave@example.com:~$ uname -r
2.6.17.7

I was poking around and realized that the .deb files I thought I was missing were actually in /usr/src and not in /usr/src/linux

Then I thought about it and figured that if those files got created, then maybe the kernel building was a success, and the warnings were just saying that it didn't put in the modules that it didn't like.

So I dutifully backed up the contents of /boot as Godwin and Scott explained, and went about installing and rebooting.

It booted up to the new kernel, but it wasn't all roses. As expected, the Nvidia graphics card drivers were a pain. Basically, the nvidia drivers in the Ubuntu repositories won't work with a kernel that's ahead of what Ubuntu officially supports. Fair enough, I suppose.

It meant that I had to do some fumbling with getting the driver downloaded from the Nvidia site and installed that way. However, because of my initial growing pains with installing Nvidia drivers, I was able to keep cool and manage the installation from the command line.

There were a couple of reboots involved, but it all worked out in the end.

So now I've got a brand spanking new modern kernel, and I've got X up and running, and I tried out a few of my commonly used programs and we're all good.

Gotta head out and do non-computer stuff now. But later on I'll experiment with the ol' Palm TX and see if this kernel upgrade really has helped.

Thanks to everyone who helped steer me through this, especially Godwin, Scott, Stephen, and Botond.

--
Dave M G