Re: [tlug] Real-world replacement for Windows?

Shannon,

I had been using Windows for well over a decade and switched to Linux less than a year ago. To be completely accurate, at work I had used Mac and Irix at various times as well, but at home always Windows.

As the others on this list know, I am always full of questions and am in no way an expert on the particulars of using Linux.

However, as a person who, like yourself, is coming from Windows world and wants to use Linux as a means to various ends, and not as an end in itself, I might be able to help answer some questions you have about the process of transitioning.

I'm a little further down that path than it seems you are, having first dual-booted between Windows and Linux, having experimented with a couple different distributions (Fedora, Centos), and then eventually making my computer purely Linux (Ubuntu) and working and playing almost a 100% in Linux (I have a windows "virtual machine" within Ubuntu, but I only use it for specialized reasons).

Please ask more specific questions, and I and others on this list will be sure to try and help. I think you'll find this group is really supportive. They've been really good at getting me up to speed, to the point where I really like my new life with Linux.

--
Dave M G