Re: [tlug] Real-world replacement for Windows?

Shannon Jacobs (6881) wrote:
Nice meeting, but... I admit that my primary interest in Linux is as a
replacement for Windows. I was hoping to get some information about next
steps in that process, but didn't really get much information along those
lines. Not sure how to put "the problem". I'm a computerized professional,
and I've been using computers for many years. I believe I could learn about
Linux to whatever degree of detail is required (which is a pleasant contrast
to Windows)--but I've got other things to do with my time, and I'd prefer to
keep the tool study part to a relative minimum.

You can download CD images (iso) of Knoppix and Ubunto from their web sites (google them) and play with them by booting from CD. These are also great tools for fixing problems with win computers. I've taken a laptop that won't boot, booted Linux on it and backed it up to a USB hard drive and then re-installed a fresh windows and restored the important files from hard drive before. Saved a lot of time.