Re: [tlug] I'm a glutton for punishment - Palm Pilot and Ubuntu Dapper LTS connectivity

TLUG,

So this morning I went and bought a nifty little Bluetooth dongle that connects via USB. Now I'm attempting to connect my Palm Pilot and my PC.

The good news is that the Bluetooth device seems to have automagically been detected and is working. I was even able to make a query from my PC to my Palm and retrieve my Palm user name:

dave@example.com:/etc/bluetooth$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
       00:70:E0:AB:29:CF       Dave

Sweet.

On the downside, the instructions on this site:
http://howto.pilot-link.org/bluesync/index.html
... differ from my situation.

The main difference is that the Palm interface screens used as examples do not have the same options and menus as my Palm interface does. I think that the web site might be using a slightly earlier version of Palm OS than what I have.

I attempted to follow the instructions as best I could though, and along the way was able to see my home computer from my Palm and vice versa. Very encouraging.

When it came down to an actual hotsync, the instructions diverged enough that I started to get into dark waters.

But the Palm Pilot itself has a built in wizard for establishing a connection. So I'm stepping through it, and it says:
"Virtual Serial Port
To use Bluetooth HotSync, you must create a virtual serial port on your PC. Follow the instructions that came with your PC's Bluetooth. After you have created the virtual serial port on your PC, tap Next"

Makes sense. Gnome Pilot et al will need to know where to look.

Okay... so of course first thing I do is hit the web trail in search of how to make a virtual serial port for my Bluetooth connection.

And you can guess how successful I was by the fact that I'm posting here. I kind of assumed this would be a udev thing, kind of like how the USB was set to connect to ttyUSB. But regardless of my assumptions, I'm not finding what I'm after.

I've found sites which talk a lot about connecting a mobile phone via Bluetooth, but they talk about a Bluetooth serial port as if it were a hardware device. Or so it seems. I think I'm getting lost in the terminology.

So, today's question:

How do I create a virtual serial connection for my Bluetooth device?

--
Dave M G