Re: [tlug] I'm a glutton for punishment - Palm Pilot and Ubuntu Dapper LTS connectivity

Godwin, Scott,

Thank you for continuing to help.

Scott wrote:
pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB0 --list

after pressing the hotsync on the palm, does it give you any errors?
As Godwin emphasized, it should be ttyUSB1, not ttyUSB0.

Thus:
dave@example.com:~$ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 --list
  Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB1
  Please press the HotSync button now... Connected
  Error read system info on /dev/ttyUSB1

So the answer, in short, is yes, it gives me a "read system" error.

Also I'm not sure if it matters, but maybe try running it from a root
prompt?
Seems to be the same:
root@example.com:~# pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 --list
  Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB1
  Please press the HotSync button now... Connected
  Error read system info on /dev/ttyUSB1

Finally, when it automatically disconnects, what do the logs say
in /var/log/messages?
When the hotsync times out, it disconnects, and then reconnects:
Jul 25 12:04:33 localhost kernel: [17347296.688000] visor 2-1.1:1.0: device disconnected Jul 25 12:04:33 localhost kernel: [17347297.148000] usb 2-1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 47

Try killing all the processes that might have anything to do with the
palm, kpilotDaemon gpilotd gpilotd-control-applet etc, then press
hotsync and run that command above and see what happens.
There was no kpilotDaemon, but there was all the gpilot apps, of which I killed everything. Unfortunately the above command still returns:
  Error read system info on /dev/ttyUSB1

I then installed kpilot. It didn't do any better than anything else I've been running.

Again, not sure
if it will help but I always like to hack and hack and hack until the
durn thing works, and it's gotta be something.
It does have to be something. I've been searching on the 'net, and in user groups of all kinds I keep finding messages of people reporting an identical problem, but no responses. Other people post back saying "It worked for me".

The closest I've got for any kind of information is a posting that said "udev timing issues are tricky". Which was evocative, but didn't carry any specifics.

Also, I tried subscribing to the "Pilot Link" list, but it seems that list might be defunct. I've seen no traffic, and my messages to it get bounced.

--
Dave M G