Re: [tlug] Not the Real World

On 25/07/06, Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote:

On 7/25/2006, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

>> On 7/24/06, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All I'm saying is: isn't communication as much a responsibility of the
>>> speaker as it is the listener?
>>
>> In the real world, in which you and most other humans inhabit, certainly,
>> but this isn't the real world here - this is Geek Land!
>
>Did you even bother to read Steve Turnbull's excellent post <SNIP> Or were you more
>interested in trolling than making a reasonable contribution to the discussion?

But I have to disagree with you on this one. I know Dave M G from another
list (a non-technical one, with a whole different set of norms), and
don't think he meant to troll anyone.

No, I wasn't accusing Dave of being a troll. The bit that I was
replying to was posted by Roger Markus, not by Dave. Confusing
attribution, I agree.

I agree with what you said: Dave is a nice guy. Dave's only sin was
not properly grokking the TLUG culture--a forgiveable sin, since as
you mentioned, TLUG culture might not be acceptable on other
(especially, non-technical) lists. But when posting on TLUG, you have
to accept our set of norms, even if you personally consider them
slightly annoying. :)

Dave made the statement that the responsibility for being understood
lies with the writer, and Steve replied with an eloquent post that
refuted that idea as it applies to mailing lists. Dave and Steve were
both acting reasonably. Then Roger came in and made some pointlessly
snarky remarks about how normal rules of conduct do not apply here in
"Geek Land". Which I considered completely unnecessary and trollish.

-Josh