Re: [tlug] Modprobe error

On 24/07/06, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

Sorry, am I doing something to invoke hostility?

Yes, though you are probably unaware of it.

You have mentioned a few times that your PalmPilot is "still not
working". However, Godwin feels that you have been offered a probable
solution, namely compiling a custom kernel, and you have refused to
take it.

Now, the reason that you state for not taking the solution:

I'm trying to balance out putting effort into getting things done so
that I can enjoy my computer for the things I bought it for - web
design, web surfing, multimedia, etc..., but at the same time putting
limits on my efforts simply to prevent myself from spending *all* my
time configuring and building and learning Linux.

is a good reason.

However, you probably need to be a little more careful about choosing
your words when you mention your still existant issues. For example:

The thing is that right now I don't see my box as being really complete.
My printer and palm pilot still don't work. And after banging my head
against trying to make them work for so long (I have two long and
incomplete threads about them in the TLUG archives), it became clear
that the problems were unspecific and beyond people's ability to help.

This should probably be worded more like:

"...it became clear that the problems were beyond my ability to
resolve without sinking a lot more time into them than I can afford
right now (like learning to compile a new kernel)."

Godwin's reply may have been a little on the snarky side, but I
certainly can see where he might have been a bit frustrated, after
having offered you a solution that you were not willing to try (again,
your prerogative, not a problem in and of itself).

Chalk it up to tough love and realise that there are certain ways in
which you have to learn geek etiquette if you are going to survive a
LUG mailing list. ;)

-Josh