Re: [tlug] [OT] Strip Kanji from a document for study purposes

Jim,

> There is an option to stop a word/phrase being displayed more than
> once. It is the checkbox labelled "no repeated translations".

Actually, I saw that and tried it. But it doesn't prevent it from
happening, so I figured it meant something other than what I thought it
would mean.

If I understand correctly, "no repeated translations" will stop a word
from being translated twice if it appears twice in the same sentence.
But if it appears once in sentence A, and once in sentence B, then it
will come out once in the translation list for sentence A, and again in
the translation list of sentence B.

> See how you go saving to a text file and hitting it with an editor.
> That's what I have done. I find I have to trim out the words I know
> to get it down to a usable study list.

I've had some experience in creating study lists using OpenOffice's
Calc. If I can scrape out the lists from WWWJDIC's output, I might be
able to format them in a way that can sweep out duplicates with some
relatively simple regular expressions.

I'm quite fond of flashcard programs that use algorithms to assist in
learning, such as Twinkle (dumb name, but good program). So what I'd
like to do is take all the vocabulary out of a text, import them into
such a flashcard program, and then later read the original text after
having taken a good swipe at memorizing the words. Then, the theory is,
I could more easily focus on grammatical structures and flow of ideas,
which is hard to do when you have to keep pausing to crack open a
dictionary.

If I streamline a system, I'll report back to this list on how it's going.

--
Dave M G
巣 す