[tlug] MTAs (smail, exim, ...) [was: Hi from new server and a couple of questions]

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> writes:

> On my net-facing server, I'm using smail, but I think that's a long
> dead project.

I run smail on my laptop and use it as the MTA for all my outgoing
personal mail. I think the last upstream smail release was several
years ago, but I know the Debian package is still being
maintained. I think it may be the default MTA that the Debian
installer installs on desktop systems (with exim, as you
mentioned, being the default for server installs).

I run exim on my personal mail/web server, and very much
appreciate all the options and ease-of-configuration it provides
there. I guess smail lacks the options that exim or other MTAs
have, but I've never needed to touch the configuration at all
since installing it on my laptop, so I don't miss it. I reckon
there might be a number of other environments where smail would be
a good choice.

  --Mike