Re: [tlug] Hi from new server and a couple of questions

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 08:08 +0900, Josh Glover wrote:

> Just curious, what are the benefits of having the /tmp filesystem on a
> RAID volume? I typically go to the other extreme, i.e. making /tmp a
> plain old ext2 filesystem, as I don't need the journal, and I figure
> that speeds up programs that like to write a lot of temporary data
> there.

I originally had planned to have the entire OS (minus swap~) on not just
raid 5 but as a physical volume on raid 5- thinking that I could
dynamically resize partitions as required and have the ability to add a
hot swap hard drive if one failed. Flexibility and redundancy and all
that. However because of that weird system freeze error, I migrated /tmp
to another sata drive that is not on raid nor is it a logical volume. I
haven't noticed any performance change, and it still crashes sometimes,
so I'm going to investigate further.

I don't really want to disable selinux however, especially after having
my previous server cracked and used as a spam zombie :-(

Cheers,

Scott VanDusen