Re: [tlug] Hi from new server and a couple of questions

On 12/07/06, scott <scott@example.com> wrote:
I have 2 software raid 5 arrays running on
3 SATA drives. Basically I split each sata into 2 linux raid partitions,
then made 2 software raid5 devices.
[...]
[I] created the following logical volumes:

   ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroupFiles/LogVolHome' [97.66 GB] inherit
   ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroupFiles/LogVolTmp' [48.84 GB] inherit
   ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroupFiles/LogVolUsr' [97.66 GB] inherit
   ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroupFiles/LogVolVar' [97.66 GB] inherit
   ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroupRoot/LogVolRoot' [153.16 GB] inherit

Initially I had the /tmp filesystem running on the above logical volume,

Just curious, what are the benefits of having the /tmp filesystem on a
RAID volume? I typically go to the other extreme, i.e. making /tmp a
plain old ext2 filesystem, as I don't need the journal, and I figure
that speeds up programs that like to write a lot of temporary data
there.

Do you have a good reason that I am not seeing, or did you just do it
for consistency's sake (which probably counts as "a good reason")?

Cheers,
Josh