Re: [tlug] GTK2: Displaying Japanese font names in Romaji

Matt Gushee wrote:
> I have my GUI font set to Bitstream Vera Sans;
>
>  obviously that doesn't include Japanese characters, but up until
> maybe a year ago the J-font names would be shown in romaji. At some
> point, I guess when I upgraded GTK, all the GTK2 apps started trying to
> show Japanese font names in kanji, with the undesirable results described.
>
> Anyone know what, if anything, I can do about this? I suppose I could
> switch to a different font for the GUI, but every Japanese font I've
> seen has horrid-looking romaji; I'd prefer not to make all my menus ugly
> and unreadable just to be able to read the font names. Any way I can
> make GTK use the romaji font names?

Looking at my /etc/fonts/fonts.conf "Bitstream Vera Sans" is set as an
alias for sans-serif along with a number of Japanese character sets.  I
was under the impression that selecting sans-serif would give you
"Bitstream Vera Sans" characters available in this font or one of the
alternative Japanese fonts for Japanese characters.  This would seem to
be the better way to resolve this problem.

Edward