[tlug] Hi from new server and a couple of questions

Hi everyone,

Finally got my new server setup to the extent that I can ssh into it
from work and send mails, so from now on I'll post from this account and
there will be no annoying sig auto-appended to the bottom of the mail
(finally). Server is running great with the external liquid tower
reservoir, right now reading 46C with no fan. Just a couple of
speedbumps so far- maybe someone can offer suggestions on these two
problems:

1) system crashes every once in a while when running xmms or kaffeine.
The logs dont give any details- basically what happens is when I watch a
file using kaffeine or sometimes listen to an audio file in xmms, it
plays through without any issues, but then when it reaches the end of
the file, the whole system freezes. I thought initially it was because
the /tmp filesystem was mounted via logical volume on raid5, so I
migrated /tmp to a different sata hard drive, then did restorecon -R -
v /tmp so selinux wouldn't prevent mysql from running etc. The /tmp
migration worked fine, but it didn't resolve the issue with these media
files freezing the system, so my guess is that it is because of an
selinux permissions setting where the context doesn't allow the tmp file
to be written properly or something. Are there any selinux gurus in the
house and if so have you experienced this problem?

2) I have two user accounts on this new server, I'd like to be able to
check both of their mailboxes using evolution. However every time I
change the permissions of /var/spool/mail/scott_vandusen to scott, it
works but then automatically the permissions get changed back (maybe
sendmail is doing this?) and a BOGUS.scott_vandusen.foo file gets
created. So I have to keep chowning the file to read the mail which is
getting annoying. How can I permanently set the ownership of that
mailbox to scott?

Thanks for any tips in advance.

Cheers,

Scott VanDusen