[tlug] More SCIM: European lang input?

I've recently set up SCIM with anthy and am very happy with
it for Japanese input (as I've said in another post)....

Now I'd like to enter some European characters with diacritics,
such as are used in French, German, etc, and also a few phonetic
characters (mainly schwa).  I looked all through SCIM's menus,
but can't seem to find a way to do this.  I must already have
whatever software I need (at least for the Euro letters), no?

I've tried all the keyboards, etc in SCIM, tried setting my
locale (LC_ALL=), to no avail.

Can someone give me the clue I need? :-)  Oh, it's SUSE 10.1.

Thanks,
Dave