Re: [tlug] Sony: Proprietary Jailkeeper . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Re: Baby Steps for Command Line Backups

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> But in "Japanese" organizations,
> things tend to be much more haphazard.

Sounds familiar.

> I don't think Japanese organizations are going to truly be ready to
> produce open systems for a couple of decades.

I have had the feeling for awhile that there is a bias towards
proprietary software among GNU/Linux programmers in Japan too.  Maybe I
already mentioned it in TLUG, but in a roundtable discussion between
three Japanese experts about VineLinux, Ubuntu, and another distro (I
think Novell SuSE), 1 of the interviewees said that he had high hopes
for Ubuntu, in particular after seeing Breezy, but the other two
strongly disagreed.  This was in a Linux magazine targeted at novices,
that in another article, comparing the three, had given high marks to
Ubuntu, showing that it was superior to Vine in many ways.  Its biggest
weakness seemed to be that its Japanese language environment was not
fully developed yet, but Ubuntu is less commercial than the other two,
isn't it?  The discussion was featured in a magazine.  And I see very
little on Debian in these magazines in Japan, or much focus on the
social benefits of supporting open source projects.

Joe