Re: [tlug] Remote Backups and Command Line Stuff

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 00:31:48 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't use "j" unless I was on a 56K modem or so.  bzip2 is an
> order of magnitude slower than gzip, enough to be slower than most
> modern connections.

True. In that case, use gzip:

tar -cvz back_this_up | ssh user@example.com \
"cd backupdir; cat > backup.`date +%Y%m%d`.tar.bz2"

Hmmm...

Does `date......` get evaluated on the local machine (the one spitting
out the tarball) or on the remote machine?

My gut feeling says that the string is evaluated by the local shell and
the result is sent to the remote box.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Sign spotted outside a second hand shop:
WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC.
WHY NOT BRING YOUR WIFE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?