[tlug] X Windows and Virtual Consoles

Joe wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 08:42 -0400, Jim wrote:
>
> > Press and hold the "Ctrl" and "Alt" keys.
> > Hit (and release) the "F1" key.
> > Release the "Ctrl" and "Alt" keys.
>
> Okay.  Yes, I've done that a few times in Ubuntu, but didn't know what
> it was called or what I was doing.

When X Windows was messed up, that's how you would restore the
X configuration file, without even having to reboot.
init 3; init 5 might restart X Windows.
<Ctrl><Alt><F7> or <Ctrl><Alt><F5> will usually switch
to the X Window virtual console.

Learn these X Windows things:

   <Ctrl><Alt>+
   <Ctrl><Alt>-
   <Ctrl><Alt><Backspace>                          goodnight Gracie