Re: [tlug] Adjusting screen resolution in Debian

    Joseph> Is there a Debian manual out there that can tell me how to
    Joseph> add the 1280x1024 option?

No.  Configuring an unknown card is black magic, way beyond what a
distro's docs should be trying to tell you about.

    Joseph> when I typed "lspci," it came back with the "VGA
    Joseph> Compatible Controller" as "VIA Techonologies, Inc.," which
    Joseph> is correct, but it says "device unknown."

    Joseph> Motherboard: VIA Chipset Micro ATX
    Joseph> Graphics: OnBoard VGA Graphics

True VGA maxes out at 640x480.  What makes you think your board can do
better than that?  Whatever it is may give you a clue to the identity
of your board.

I can't find the Cards database on my Debian installation; I don't
know if there are any supported VIA chipsets.  ISTR that it's in
/usr/X11R6/etc/Cards or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards (maybe "cards" in
lowercase).  You could try something that seems to have a similar
name.  (If you don't terribly fear frying the card or the monitor).

Are you sure you're using XFree86 and not X.org?  (You probably are
using XFree86, but it's worth asking).