Re: [tlug] Something is eating my disk space

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     bruno> The plan to clean these files without killing the writing
>     bruno> apps
>
> This is a very bad idea, unless you really know what you're doing.
> You need to find out what the app is; if you're lucky, a HUP will
> cause it to close its open files.  Otherwise, I would kill it.

I said "...without killing". This included any signal.
And you are right, you have to know what you are doing (and being in
contact with the support/dev teams if you are not sure)...

>     bruno> PS. To play with this feature you can try this small
>     bruno> program.
>
> AFAIK your program creates a sparse file, on systems and filesystems
> that support such.  This is not the same kind of thing as a runaway
> logfile at all.

A sparse file is created if you do the "cat>" on all Unixes FS I know,
while another process is "appending"...
If you have a list of Unix/linux (excluding networked) file systems
which do not support this feature, it would be very useful for all of
us, just to avoid to do any mistake one day!

Thanks by advance Stephen,

br.

--
GPG Key: 653514E5 (http://www.raoult.com/gpg)