Re: [tlug] Something is eating my disk space

    Jim> Keith Bawden <isdj@example.com> wrote:

    >> find / -mount -type f -size +100M -ls

    >> find / -mount -size +100M -exec du -h {} \;

    Jim> When run as a peon user, it will likely generate many errors,
    Jim> when find tries to access directories that it does not have
    Jim> permission to access, so one would likely need to redirect
    Jim> stderr to /dev/null.

"find" is the wrong tool for the job, anyway.  The problem is disk
usage, so you want "du", as Josh suggested.  Once you've isolated the
subtree that's filling up, a direct "ls -la" will show any problem
files.  (You want the -a mostly in case you've been hacked.  Sane
programs don't write megabytes to dot-files.  Did I say "sane"?  Oops,
OK, if you've got spamassassin, Mozilla, or any GNOME program
installed, you might as well be hacked from this point of view....)

du doesn't count inodes, which can be a problem, as somebody
mentioned, but that will generate a different message (yes, I have the
Serder Argic T-shirt).  IIRC on most Unix filesystems inodes do not
come out of "user space", anyway; they're accounted for by the
(usually) huge overestimate of space reserved for root.

    Jim> Most web interfaces would thwart even experts.

Of course!  That's what they're designed to do.  Keep n00bs from
hurting themselves, and experts from having any control over their
systems at all.  ;-)