[tlug] Sucking Power from Laptops (was Cooling Hot Laptops)

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

>     Jim> By the way, USB ports are convenient to suck power from to
>     Jim> run the fan.
>
> USB ports?

Yup. Exactly.

You can get 100mA at a "nominal" 5V with no trouble, and up to
500mA if you ask nicely. Some USB adapters for 2.5 inch IDE drives,
will use two USB connectors, just so that they can suck more power.

I've seen the USB powered LED lights that clip onto laptops,
and USB powered fans for cooling the users.

> Ain't no USB ports on the 1996-vintage box that do my mail
> and web service.

You can get PCMCIA USB adapters, although I don't know if they
have lower maximum currents.

Another place to suck power from are the keyboard/mouse ports.
I have an external ethernet interface that uses the printer port
for data, and uses the keyboard port for power.