Re: [tlug] Virtual server hosting

>>Recommendations for affordable virtual server hosting, please. I
>>cannot afford a second AC or the power to run server from home. I was
>>doing it for a while with DDNS, and it just got silly. I would like to
>>get REALLY into django or zope (still on the fence). There is a web
>>app that I have been wanting to create for some time now.
>>

>I use www.unixshell.com
>
>It is unmanaged (they don't support except billing stuff and problems
>with their web interface), but cheap. Unfortunately I just checked their
>website and it seems they don't have any more space in their datacenter
>for now...
>
>You can install the distribution you want (from one of their images),
>and then have total control over your virtual server.
>
>I haven't had any problems with them except that they required me to fax
>my visa card and my ID card (maybe because I am not american and live in
>a strange country ;).
>
>Evan

Thank you. I will keep them marked, as well as Tektonics, the site they
recommend while they are full.

Hi,
I am using openhosting (www.openhosting.com). It is also unmanaged,
but have some level of  free technical support (after some "googling"
I found some positive comments, and that's the reason I chose them. On
the other hand, there seems to be some people not satisfied with
Unixshell or Tektonics support). I didn't have to fax anything, just a
web based registration. There are some drawbacks, though:
- They have an unconventional billing system, depending on the load
you put on the server (although for me it's been flat rate since I
don't exceed some predetermined limits)
- The virtual hosting implementation doesn't support iptables

Hope that helps

Hector